Sunday, May 5, 2013

Dear Rachel and Anna

I have the tremendous privelege of being a Discipleship Group leader for our High School Seniors. Though I have no great wisdom  to offer and am far from 'cool',  the Lord in his grace and mercy has given the opportunity to walk beside some amazing young women who call him Father. I have been apart of this ministry for almost 7 years  and it has truly been one of my favorite things. Each group has been different, and each  holds a special place in my heart. 
Today I was humbled and honored with being asked to speak at one of my girls' High School Graduation Celebration today.  Anytime I am asked to do something like this I tremble in fear, but ultimately am thankful for the opportunity to be forced to reflect on all that God is doing. Here are the words I spoke today, I edited slightly because though I spoke them to one, its my heart for both.

My dear girls, 


It has been a true joy to be your D Group leader the last 2 years.  It has been such a blessing to gather together with you every Sunday night.  We have eaten-and eaten-and then eaten some more, laughed and learned, done nothing at all yet done something extraordinary. For while we did “nothing," we have shared life, shared our hearts-the ups and downs, asked questions, learned the answers.  Over the last 2 years we have all changed, and been there so pray and encourage one another through.  Being your D group leader has truly been a joy, and I thank you for the privilege.
BUT while being a D group leader is a joy, it also is bittersweet.  For this time always comes.  Time to say goodbye.  Time to encourage you to go forth and spread those wings that God has given you. When your mom asked me to say something I said yes, but that familiar fear came back.  What do I say??  Who am I to get up and say anything, at least anything worthwhile?  And as the days went on, I’ve struggled to write something because  life has been crazy.  There have been sick kids, untimely funerals, to do lists that seem endless.  Life has been messy and busy. And I find myself longing for a future day. That day when my husband is done with seminary. Or when the kids do their own laundry, or when time with a friend seems possible.  And there have been those days when I have looked back and missed what was, when the baby couldn’t reach the toilet much less drink out of it, the days where my husband only had 1 job, or when my hair didn’t have a touch of gray.  There are even moments I miss before kids when I’d take a nap after work and go to midnight movies on a whim. Sometimes its hard to just enjoy this present moment.
God has perfect timing and I think God has a sense of humor. For everything that he is teaching me, I think applies to you and where you stand. 
My beautiful girls, you have accomplished much, you have enjoyed life, and God has great things in store for each of you. I know the dreams you have in your hearts-dreams that I can’t wait to see come true.   You have made some incredible memories in travels, through relationships, and just doing life.  As you embark on this next journey moving closer to your dreams,  you will look back on these days with fondness,  there will probably be a few days you miss living at home, miss the carefreeness of not thinking through bills and budgets.  There will be days you miss the familiar –even the parts of the familiar that drive you crazy now.  And there will also be days where you long so much for the future, it hurts.  Days that you long for that one certain thing that you think will make life better, and on those days as you look to the future it will be easy to fall into impatience and frustration.
The truth that we need to hear, myself included,  is while God is in the past holding us steady and while we can certainly trust him with the future,  He’s here in the present too.  He has used our past for His glory and to bring us to this moment.  The future is something to look forward too but this present day is what He is using to bring us to that future.  Psalm 118 says “This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it”  Notice;  It doesn’t say This is the day that the Lord has made just  endure it until you get to tomorrow.  And it doesn’t say  “This is the day that the Lord has made,  but only rejoice in the memories of yesterday” IT says THIS is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in IT  This day, sandwiched between yesterday and tomorrow is what we need to rejoice in.  This day is not an accident, it's not just a bridge, it’s a day created by your Heavenly Father.  Rejoice that he has given it to you.  Live joyfully for him today- when it's good, when it's frustrating, when it just seems mundane. Without today you can’t see yesterday clearly, and without today there is no tomorrow. So Give thanks for yesterday and how God  has been at work, prayerfully seek Him about tomorrow, but rejoice in today and all that He has given you.  

So as you celebrate graduation, remember this day is the day that the Lord has made….
When you are bored and counting down to college,
When you are meeting new friends, experiencing new places,
When you miss me and my awesome dessert making,
When you are longing for Mr. Right remember this is the day the Lord has made.
When you are homesick for the comfort of your childhood,
When you are in the middle of finals,
When you are watching Tangled or Once Upon a Time or some other cheesy masterpiece
When there is more to do then you have time for remember this is the day the Lord has made…
When the kids don’t stop whining or making a mess (oh wait thats for me :) )
When you are lonely
When you are waiting on a degree or a job or a promotion
When you read this…. Remember

THIS is the day that Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it”

Psalm 118

I love you girls, and I rejoice in each day that the Lord has given me to walk beside you, to pray for you and to love you.  I rejoice in this day (well, I am trying to)  when I have to say goodbye and watch you walk towards your dreams.   Thank you for the privilege of being a part of your life.  And remember I’m just a text, email, fb, phone call, or drive away... I'll have dessert waiting :)

In Him,
Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment